Pershing FAQs

Where do I drop off in the morning?

Students can arrive at school starting at 8am. All car riders will be dropped off in the car line. Enter the car line on Overlake Ave and follow to the front of the school. Please do not get out of the car in the car line. Staff/patrols will assist your child. The car line entrance on Overlake Ave will close at 8:45am. Enter the parking lot on Pershing Ave after 8:45am.

Where does my child enter the campus if they are a walker or bike rider?

Students will enter at the Overlake Ave gate and follow the sidewalk around the parking lot to the front of the school or enter on Pershing Ave on the sidewalk near the crossing guard and car line/bus loop exit or through the Gatlin Oaks gate (this gate will only be open from 8:00-8:15 each morning).

Where will the crossing guards be located?

At the intersection of Ferncreek Ave and Pershing Ave, and the intersection of Bumby Ave and Pershing Ave. There will also be a crossing guard on Pershing Ave at the Northeast corner of the school property to help students crossing Pershing Ave. See our school website for a list of recommended student walking routes.

What if my child is late (tardy) to school?

Park in a parking spot and walk your child to the front office to sign and receive a tardy slip. Office staff will help your child get to class. Remember 5 tardies equals 1 unexcused absence. All tardies are unexcused. Please remember the car line gate entrance on Overlake Ave will be closed every day at 8:45 am. If you arrive after 8:45 am please enter the parking lot from Pershing Ave, park, and walk your child to the office.

Are there after school Programs?

Dramatic Education will provide before and after school care on campus for grades K-8 starting at 7am and ending at 6pm. More information and registration is available at dramaticeducation.com

Is there Day Care pickup after school?

Several Day Cares in our area provide transportation from Pershing School after school to their place of business. Please contact the daycare to find out if they pick up and drop off at Pershing School.

Where do we get school supply information?

School supply lists for each grade level are posted on our school website and school Facebook page. If you have additional questions, please contact the front office.

Where do we get school spirit shirts?

School spirit wear is available for purchase on the PTSO website: pershingschoolptso.com

What are the Dismissal Procedures?

Please be sure to tell your child’s teacher how your child will go home from school (car rider, walker, after school care, daycare bus). Send a note anytime there is a change to how your child will go home from school or if they will be going home with a different person. Anyone who is authorized to pick up your child will be required to show a state issued ID. The car line entrance gate on Overlake Ave will open at 2:30/1:30 on Wednesday. You will receive a hangtag with your child’s assigned number on it. Hangtags can be picked up in the front office.

Walker pick up will be on the sidewalk outside of the Overlake gate, and at the crossing guard on Pershing Ave. and at the Gatlin Oaks gate.

How do I get a Car Tag?

All families have been assigned a car tag number and will receive 3 tags. Car tag pick up will be available for pick up at Meet the Teacher. If you are not able to attend, please pick up your car tags at the front office. Children are only released to an adult with a car tag in the car line. Teachers will not be allowed to put any child into a car unless there is a 2022-2023 Pershing School car tag visible. This will help identify your car as associated with the school in the case of emergency or a traffic issue in the neighborhood. The car tag can also be used as a means of identification in the case of a severe weather dismissal.

What is the Severe Weather Dismissal Procedure?

If we have a dismissal hold due to weather, parents will be notified through Connect Orange calls. We ask that you wait until the weather has passed and we are clear for dismissal to pick up. If Parents/Guardians must pick up their student during the weather hold they will need to park and pick up at the front office. A car tag or government issued ID will be required for pick up.

What do I do if I need to pick up my child early?

Park in a parking spot and go to the front office and let them know your child’s name, teacher, and reason for leaving. Office staff will help you check your child out. Please note: students cannot be checked out 30 minutes prior to dismissal (2:30 pm and 1:30 pm on Wednesdays).

What is the procedure if I want to have lunch with my child?

Parents/Guardians will need to sign up ahead of time in ADDitions to come in and have lunch with their student. This opportunity is available on Thursdays, and Fridays. See the tab below -How do I register to volunteer at Pershing tab for sign up instructions.

-Each adult coming for lunch with their student will need to sign up for the lunch time slot for their child's grade level in the ADDitions opportunity by 8am on the day they want to come for lunch.

-Due to limited space, parents will sit outside at the picnic tables with their student for lunch.

-Parents must let a school staff member know the student is outside with them and watch the time to return inside for lunch dismissal.

-Parents must sign in and out of the office and wear a badge at all times. Bring photo ID for check in.

-Adults can purchase school lunch for $3.75 and must bring exact change.

-Younger siblings are not permitted to come with parents for lunch.

-If you are unable to come for a slot you signed up for, please cancel the slot to allow other parents the opportunity to take the slot.

Can I bring treats or goodie bags for my child's birthday?

Treats/Snacks: Elementary (K-5) parents/guardians may bring in store bought treat/snacks (example: cookies or cupcakes; 1 for each child in the classroom) for their child’s birthday if they choose to. Parent/guardian will need to contact the teacher to arrange the day/time to drop off items at the front office and check for allergies in the class. OCPS outside food guidelines apply: items must be store bought, sealed, the receipt and label must be kept for the teacher to complete the outside food documentation form.

Goodie Bags: Elementary (K-5) parents/guardians may bring in goodie bags for their birthday student to pass out to the class if they choose to. 1 per student in the classroom. All food/candy items must be store bought and individually packaged. Goodie bags are to be passed out at the end of the school day and opened at home. Parent/Guardian will need to contact the teacher before sending in goodie bags.




Which grades will have recess?

ALL elementary level grades (K-5) will have recess daily.

What sports are offered?

We have the following middle school (grades 6-8) sports teams: soccer, volleyball, basketball, and track. OCPS physical packets must be completed to try out for sports teams. The packet can be found on the school website and copies are available in the front office.

My student has an IEP. Will I need to do anything to get this transferred?

If you have any questions regarding your student’s IEP or services at Pershing School, please contact [email protected]

Will you offer gifted services?

Yes. All elementary students at Pershing School who qualify for the gifted program, will receive gifted services through their assigned teacher. Middle school students who qualify and receiving gifted services will receive their services through one of their content area classes.

Will there be school news crew?

Yes, school news crew will include middle school students. It will be available for all students to watch daily.

What safety provisions are in place for the school campus?

There is a 6ft fence around the entire property. In addition, all entry points require an employee ID badge to be scanned for entry. The front office door is protected by a video doorbell and requires visitors to be “buzzed in” before entering the office and again before accessing the door to the main building.

Will there be a school resource officer?

An Orange County Sheriff’s Deputy will be on campus daily.

How do I register to volunteer at Pershing?

  Additions School Volunteer Opportunity Sign Up Information

How to sign up:

1. Go to: https://ocps.samaritan.com
2. At the top click search
3. Scroll down to opportunity type: click volunteers
4. In the search school box type  Pershing - then click on Pershing School

> A list of opportunities will come up on the right side of the page.

> Click on the Become a School ADDitions Volunteer with Pershing Opportunity 
(You can also sign up for additional opportunities with Pershing)

>Click the blue sign up button

If you are a returning OCPS volunteer previously registered in the system, click Login. If you are a new OCPS and have not previously registered as a volunteer, click New Volunteer to register. It is recommended to update/register using a computer.

Returning Volunteers: If you are unsure of your password or username, you can click “forgot password or username”.

Once you are registered for the 22/23 school year you can return to the opportunity search page to sign up for additional opportunities at Pershing School. 

Reminder: ADDitions applications must be updated each school year.  Please apply/update your application early in the year. 

All volunteers will be asked for photo ID at check in and required to wear a badge at all times while on campus. 

Volunteer Coordinator: Mrs. Slauter [email protected]      

How do I find out more about the Pershing School Foundation?

test test

If you have additional questions or need additional assistance, please contact the front office at 407-858-3160